Indian reservation

Man admits murder and gun crimes in deadly shootout on Crow Indian Reservation | USAO-MT


BILLINGS – A man today admitted to murder and firearms charges in the shooting death of a woman and wounding a passenger in his vehicle along Blue Creek Road on the Crow Indian Reservation , said Acting U.S. Attorney Leif Johnson.

Taylor Leigh Plain Bull, 27, a passing person, pleaded guilty to second degree murder and using a firearm in a violent crime, as amended proxy information accuses him. Plain Bull faces life in prison, a fine of $ 250,000 and five years on probation for murder, and a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison consecutive to any other jail term, a fine of $ 250,000 and five years supervised release for firearms.

US District Judge Susan P. Watters presided. Judge Watters has set the sentence for July 23. Plain Bull was arrested.

In court documents filed in the case, the government alleged that on October 24, 2020, the victim, identified as Jane Doe, was driving from Pryor to Billings with a passenger, identified as John Doe, in the front passenger seat, and a child in the back seat. As Jane Doe was driving westbound on Blue Creek Road, she was passed by Plain Bull, who was driving a stolen truck eastbound towards Pryor. Plain Bull had previously had a romantic relationship with Jane Doe. The truck was reported stolen in Billings and contained four firearms, including a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol.

The government alleged that after passing Jane Doe, Plain Bull turned and chased her. He passed his car, drove to the top of a hill and stopped sideways on the roadway, blocking the road. Plain Bull got out of the truck and pointed a gun at Jane Doe’s approaching car. Jane Doe pulled over, told John Doe it was Plain Bull, and put her car in reverse. Plain Bull got back into the truck and eventually forced Jane Doe’s car off the road into the ditch. Jane Doe couldn’t get out of the ditch because of the snow.

The government further alleged that Jane Doe locked the car doors as Plain Bull approached the passenger side of the car with a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol. Plain Bull knocked on the passenger window and asked John Doe who he was. John Doe told Plain Bull to stay calm. Plain Bull fired two shots. The first blow broke the glass and got lodged in the dashboard. Plain Bull then reached out and put the gun to John Doe’s temple. John Doe suffered a temple injury. The second bullet hit Jane Doe, who was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency medical responders.

Plain Bull walked away from the scene with the child and dropped the child off at another location. He called 911 after the shooting at least twice, shouting it was an accident and asking for an ambulance. Government said according to Plain Bull he passed Jane Doe, she saw him and tried to stop because he was going to give her money but got in the ditch because of the roads slippery. When Plain Bull approached the car John Doe started to upset him, he tried to whip him with a pistol and the pistol exploded.

Assistant US Attorney Lori Suek is pursuing the case, which has been investigated by the FBI.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.