OUR HISTORY

OUR HISTORY
October 12, 1863, Tabby, Autosome, Tints-pa-gin and Harry-nap, the designated chiefs of the Shoshone-Goship Tribe, signed a “Treaty of Peace and Friendship” at Tale (Tooele) Valley.This treaty required that we give up our wandering and live on a reservation and that the Government would compensate us for the destruction of game.The treaty was ratified by Congress and signed into law on January 17, 1865 by President Abraham Lincoln.The federal government and Mormon Church organized Indian farms for our people near Ibapah, Utah. We farmed and adopted much of the white mans culture, some of us even adopted his religion. A permanent reservation was established south of Ibapah in 1914. The Federal Government built a log school, a log assembly hall and log cabins for us, but many of us continued to occupy traditional dwellings for many years. In 1939, the reservation was extended to include the Eight Mile, Goldsmith and Gash Ranches and in 1984 the Will Cession homestead and Kelly Ranch were purchased. We adopted a Constitution and By-Laws which was approved on November 25, 1940. Our Business Council is made up of five council members which serve for three (3) consecutive years. The council then chooses a chairman. The council governs the reservation and manages the tribal government.

OUR PEOPLE

OUR PEOPLE
We are descendants of the bands of Indians who settled in Eastern Nevada and Western Utah. The Shoshone-Goship people have always been an integral part of Western Utah and Northeastern Nevada. The word Goshute (Gosuite) is derived from the native word Kutsipiuti (Gutsipiuti) which means “desert people”.We have inhabited the land long before the arrival of the white man in America.